Jim's Orbit: The First Texas Racing Blog

News, notes, and commentary on Thoroughbred horseracing in the Lone Star State.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Saturday night fever

As much as I would love to handicap this weekend's races, I've come into a ticket to Saturday's Saints-Eagles game in New Orleans, so you'll forgive me if I'm absent the next few days.

But before I hit the road, I thought I should at least weigh in on Saturday night's feature at Sam Houston. Here's my forecast...

1. General Charley
2. Guacomole
3. Praisemeister

OK, so I know it's kinda chalky. I didn't expect Guacomole to be second choice on the morning line, but that's what he is.

General Charley is the lukewarm 4-1 morning line favorite, but I suspect it'll be a lot shorter than that. Trainer Michael Stidham is having a great season, and that New Year's Eve bullet workout showed his ability on the main track, followed with another eye-opener on Sunday. I think it's safe to say the last race was meant as a tuneup all along, and I would expect a big race tonight.

Guacomole has had talent as far back as when Danny Pish first had him, but he's never really broken through to realize his potential. But this is his kind of spot, and Michelle Lovell is another trainer to always respect.

Praisemeister had a decent fall in Oklahoma, where the competition is getting stiffer all the time. He won here last time out and could offer some value for throwing in with your exactas and trifectas, if you're into those kinds of wagers. John Long's got two wins at the meet, and while I have no idea who he is, that's enough to give me some confidence that this spot represents more than just wishful thinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home