Jim's Orbit: The First Texas Racing Blog

News, notes, and commentary on Thoroughbred horseracing in the Lone Star State.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Great 3-year-old race Saturday

OK, so maybe it's not the most important 3-year-old race this Saturday, but the one-mile Texas Heritage at old Sam Houston attracted some interesting colts for a $45,000 purse.

I don't have time for a full analysis on this one, but I'll tell you I like Bernie Flint's Speedway for the win. He's the 3-1 morning line favorite and if you can get 2-1 or better, which you might, then I say go for it.

The first thing that stands out is the breeding. He's a son of Forest Wildcat, and his mama was a graded stakes winner of more than $220,000.

Flint doesn't ship this way often so I'll take that to mean this one's ready to win. But he's not going to take on the sophomores stabled at Oaklawn right now, which includes a few that are Kentucky Derby-bound, so why not send him to Houston for a decent purse and more black type?

Most of the contenders here are fairly obvious, but I also encourage you to consider Hadacure, the half-brother to four-time stakes winner and half-million earner Rare Cure. He bombed here against state-breds in December, but Joe Petalino has given him plenty of rest this winter and I foresee a strong effort at a good price. Morning line is 12-1!

Here's how I see it...

Speedway
Hadacure
Beta Capo
Banquo
Makeithapencaptain (Bob Dylan up)
El Kabong
Daddy Warbucks
I Spy Wolfie
Dream America
Daddy's Mistress

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home